Blog

San Francisco looks to profit from payment processing-enabled taxis

August 30, 2011

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Organization is current undertaking an effort to equip every one of its city's cabs with a credit card terminal, the San Francisco Examiner reports.

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Organization is current undertaking an effort to equip every one of its city’s cabs with a credit card terminal, the San Francisco Examiner reports.

However, it’s also mulling over the possibility of taking a cut of the revenue gained by the advertisements played on the terminals during rides.

“They have no right to this revenue, so I really hope they don’t pursue this possibility,” Athan Rebelos, general manager at DeSoto Cab company, told the news source. “At the end of the day, if we get hurt by these plans, the passengers will get hurt.”

Currently, 90 percent of advertising profits go toward cab companies, while the other 10 percent is distributed among the city’s drivers.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the city’s Municipal Transportation Agency board recently put forth a separate effort to gain additional revenue from taxis, by raising a meter’s starting rate by 40 cents. In May, the board also approved a motion to increase the mileage rate from 45 cents per fifth mile or minute of wait time to 55 cents. Both initiatives will commence in September.  

Back To Blog